Saturday, April 27, 2024

Re-introduction, by way of a few words

I love Role Playing Games. From my first game when I was 12, in the late 80, until now when I am 47 years old, I have loved RPGs. 

From the simple to the complex. From the well grounded to the absurd. All have given me shelter and comfort in times good and bad. I feel I owe something back to the hobby.

For the bulk of this time I was a perpetual GM, usually running some variation on Dungeons and Dragons, World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, and more obscure games. I have no complaints about that time. It was very well spent. But, about 8 years ago my game group of nearly 15 years went its separate ways. I was part of that, when I moved about 1/3 way across the state. I may as well have moved to the moon.

Since that time, I have played in online groups, play by post, and found my way into the solo gaming community, which is a very giving and embracing sort of place.

It took a couple of years to find my feet as a solo gamer, but currently I have a couple of ambitious campaigns cooking along and enjoy the total freedom to play literally anything. By way of example my two current campaigns center around characters that would never fly in most conventional groups, and would probably make a GM pull their hair out at the off the wall ideas (though if they were experienced enough maybe not). 

One is a hacker mage in a classic fantasy setting, (the Forgotten Realms Grey box from 1987), and the other is a adolescent dragon. The first can't fight worth a damn and the second OP off the chart. Both would be poor choices for a group game but fit perfectly in the frame work of a solo player. 

So in this revived blog, I hope to give useful tidbits in the form of reviews, musings, and actual playable material. I will refer back to games I own, and tell you how i hacked them when hacking was necessary and, with upmost respect for the authors copyright, show you how to build games of your own using both solo rules and popular mechanics.

So welcome to Wizard Dad's work shop. Sort of a prose Santa Claus (Milk and Cookies appreciated).

W.D.

P.S. I have removed some old material that was never finished, but left up the post that explored various OSR content because, even after some years, it is pretty good. Though this blog is taking a turn away from that original exploration, I hope that the older content will still be of some use. 

W.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment